Translate

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

WHEN CREATING OPPORTUNITIES, LET THERE BE EQUITY.



By Elizabeth Ofori - General Manage The Lady B Bless Humanitarian Foundation, Inc


In a recent conversation with a very good friend, he said this "... Liz, there will always be the rich, and there will always be the poor. I don't understand what equality you want cos these dynamics will never change".

I thought about this for a split second and responded " yes, you're right...The dynamics of hierarchy are deeply entrenched in even the way our planet is made. There are different layers of the earth's crusts. Hierarchy brings balance and a good balance is what we intend to achieve sustainability no matter what it is you're doing"

"However, when we talk about reduced inequalities, we're not saying we want everyone to be rich, we're not saying we want everyone to be male or female, we're not saying no one should have a physical challenge (we wish), we're not saying everyone should be black or white or yellow or brown"

THIS IS WHAT WE'RE SAYING!

We're saying that don't treat me differently because I have no money, don't treat me differently because I am male or female, don't treat me differently because I am differently-abled or physically challenged, don't treat me differently because I am white or black or yellow or brown, don't treat me differently because I am young, don't treat me differently because of where I come from.

Give me the opportunities that you know I deserve. Consider me based on my merits, my strengths, intellectual capacity, track record, my passion, skills.

Consider my vision, does it align with yours? Then consider me. Look at my grades, do I qualify? Then consider me. Look at my passion, my intellect, skills, is it what you're looking for? then consider me.

When creating opportunities, let there be equity.

What the rich person can afford 10 times over, the poorest person should be able to afford one.

Yes, there will always be different classes and levels of wealth among us. But we should never be OK when we still have people amongst us who live in such abject need that their living is almost inhumane.

Let's come together and build strong societies and communities where the least person can afford to eat a decent meal, have a decent job and provide his or her own decent basic needs.





No comments:

Post a Comment